Messages from Nowhere (ch. 1)

Posted: August 7, 2011 by gsb3 in Fiction, Sunday Whirl
Tags: ,
Fast musical notes on a music sheet

Image by Horia Varlan via Flickr

The notes were repeating in Stephen’s head again. It was a torment he had come to accept. In fact, he had almost been swept away with
pride, picturing himself some kind of strange prophet, communicating with aliens or angels or something. The music did make him feel a little dizzy, though. Stephen went outside to take a short walk and get a little sun. It was still morning, so not too hot. He figured that the fresh air might clear his head some. When he stepped out of his door and onto the warm cement, he looked down and saw ants crawling all over  the place. He hated ants.  He put his hand to his forehead and felt several scars there that reminded him of what his eccentricities had cost him growing up. Teasing, fighting, injuries.  Being a little abnormal could be really inconvenient at times. Stephen remembered one time when he had really gotten his butt kicked after an argument over some strange idea he had. The other boy had repeatedly hit him across the face with a big, rusty can, then shoved his face into an ant pile. Stephen hurt and bled so bad that his mother found him crawling down the sidewalk back to his house.  She took him inside and tenderly nursed his wounds, some of which would become those scars he now felt on his head. It just didn’t seem worth it.  Stephen did have some good ideas at times, but socially, he was a slug.

The Sunday Whirl

Wordle 16

About these ads
Comments
  1. brenda w says:

Gordon, The notes disappear into rememberings of eccentricities. In my mind this piece is begging to be continued. Reader me wants more about the music. The music just might save this boy. Thank you for this piece. I teach middle school and can see students in it. I was an odd girl myself, and still feel myself living on the outside, but now I think I put myself there, and like it. ha!

2. gsb3 says:

Yes, you are right. The story does not end there. It is just a beginning. I will see if I can muster enough creative juices to keep going. Your wordle got me this far, and I’m glad you enjoyed it, but we will see what happens when I don’t have words with which to structure my story. Not sure how it will turn out.

3. pmwanken says:

Yay, Gordon. You gave it a good Sunday Whirl!! I’m glad you ventured over to join in the wordling fun. ;)

4. gsb3 says:

Well, I put it off for a good while because the challenge seemed so daunting. When I attempted this week’s wordle, I tried to write a poem, but it came out as fiction. I did enjoy it, but I don’t usually write fiction, especially about teenagers, and Brenda is crying for more, so I’m kind of in a bind.

One thing’s for sure, this story is going to be unique, and if I keep going, things could get weird(er).

Thanks for your encouragement, as usual. I’m glad that my first try was a success because that makes me want to try again.

Another prompt! :)

5. Awwww I hope it has a happy ending! How sad to be so bullied.

6. Mike Patrick says:

I could associate with the notes repeating in his head. Any music lover lives in that world.

Stick around. I think you will enjoy the creativity welling forth from wordle prompts.

Great initial effort.

• gsb3 says:

I’m glad you could relate to the notes. I hope to make more of that than just reliving a favorite song. Thank you for the invitation, and I appreciate the compliment.

7. Traci B says:

Interesting character study; I hope you do flesh it out and continue the story.

Great use of the wordle in a prose format; an unexpected change from the poetry we all post. Thanks for jumping into the pool with us. :)